Tuesday, October 5, 2010

my first time in San Antonio

This past weekend I flew out to San Antonio to visit my boyfriend, Riley. He recently took a job as a Graduate Assistant for UTSA's Outdoor Pursuits program. It was my first time in San Antonio, and luckily I had a personal tour-guide who put together an amazing weekend itinerary. Even though I was only there for four nights, I really feel as if I got a true feel of the city. If you ever decide to visit San Antonio, even for a couple of days, here are my suggestions for must-see downtown attractions:

  1. The Alamo, of course. This historical sight is definitely a must-see. Don't forget to stick around for reenactments put on by local actors. Also, check out the historic Menger Hotel--located right across the street.
  2. Blanco Cafe for breakfast. This Mexican cafe serves breakfast all day, and it is delicious. I recommend ordering the Chilaquiles with Beans & Papas. This dish is served with fried tortilla chips, eggs, tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes, and topped with melted cheese.
  3. "First Friday" in the King William District. If you happen to be in San Antonio during the first Friday of any month, head down to this artsy part of town to enjoy live music, local brews, and unique art exhibits. While I was in town, I enjoyed First Friday by noshing on bar food and sipping local brews at Blue Star Brewing Company, while listening to some great Reggae music by Carlton Pride & Zion.
  4. Tower of the Americas. Take the elevator to the top of this 750-foot-tall tower and order a Prickly Pear Margarita at the Chart House Restaurant while enjoying breathtaking views of the entire city.
  5. Happy Hour at Casa Rio. This Mexican restaurant, located on the famous Riverwalk, offers $2.50 margaritas during happy hour. Drinks are served with complimentary chips and salsa, of course.
  6. Appetizers or dessert at the Iron Cactus. I recommend enjoying this riverside restaurant Al Fresco style. My top menu picks include the Lobster Tacos, Strawberry Margarita Tres Leche, and Mexican Chocolate Mousse.
  7. Riverboat Tour along the Riverwalk. Don't miss out on this fun and informational tour of the famous Riverwalk. Riverboat guides will be sure to keep you entertained with their inside scoop, historical knowledge, and all-too-often bad jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment